Monday, January 25, 2010

Triple Choc Fudge Cookies

It is Australia Day tomorrow, and we're planning to hit the river and watch the fireworks along with 300 000 other people in Perth. Good food and snacks are essential, and to this end I have baked a batch of Triple Choc Fudge Cookies.

I am not sure whose recipe it is, all I know is that it was cut out of a newspaper, most likely the West Australian, and the person who the recipe belongs to used to make them for the Left Bank in the 1990s.

I had a little trouble following the recipe, mainly because I didn't actually read ahead.

2 eggs
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
200g dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
100g white chocolate, chopped
100g milk chocolate, chopped



Preheat oven to 180C.
Cover baking trays with baking paper.
Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until frothy.
Combine dark chocolate and oil in a pan and stir over a gentle heat until the chocolate is melted, cool.
Stir egg mixture into chocolate mixture.


Stir in the flour, and white and milk chocolate.
Refirgerate for one hour.
Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls, place 5cm apart on prepared trays and flatten slightly.
Bake for eight minutes, don't overcook.
Cool on the trays.



Notes
- I do not always understand the timing on some recipes - why preheat the oven at the start when you're going to put the dough in the fridge for an hour? At any rate mine does not take that long so I preheated it before I took the dough out of the fridge.
- Again, I would wait until I had melted the chocolate and pulled it off the heat before I beat the eggs, that way the chocolate+oil should be cool enough to work with!
- I used light olive oil. Olives ... oh oops, I was going to say that they are a vegetable but I think that they might be a fruit!
- I put the dark chocolate and oil into a glass bowl and melted the mixture over a pot of simmering water. I remember that last time I made this recipe the texture of the chocolate went a bit strange so I thought I would err on the side of caution.
- Remember to flatten the dough!
- The dough is quite greasy. Take off all rings and consider wearing gloves.
- I cooked them for 7 minutes at 170C fan forced. They are still squishy when you take them out of the oven but they firm up just enough as they cool.
Note to self Do not use small bowl to melt chocolate as you are expected to use this bowl to mix the cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment