Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Peanut Butter


My friends the other week were making fun of the peanut butter that I eat! Apparently one of my friends buys the same peanut butter that I buy to feed her dog.

The thing is that I like my peanut butter without the added sugar that so many of the manufacturer's add! It is actually a lot more difficult to buy my kind of peanut butter (so to speak) so I consider it as a more... sophisticated taste, not like the common garden variety peanut butter.

It all stems from when I was growing up, and Mum used to buy my peanut butter from the health food shop. They would crush peanuts and so my peanut butter had absolutely no additives. The problem with this that was after a while it would go hard and impossible to spread, as the peanut flesh separated from the oil. In hindsight I think that the issue here was leaving it in the non airtight plastic containers that they sold it in rather than transferring it to a more suitable container.

Eventually I gave up trying to spread it on my bread, as bread that is that durable generally tastes of cardboard, and tried to move back to peanut butter that you buy in a jar. It was really difficult, and my poor mother had to hunt around many different shops trying to find a peanut butter without any added sugar. I remember it was a bit difficult for her to find, and not always available at the same shop, so I would make sure to stock up a few jars just in case we could not find it again.

More recently Sanitarium have been consistently producing a "No Added Salt" variety that is coincidentally no added sugar so I have been converted. Occasionally I will look through all of the varieties on a supermarket shelf to see if there are alternatives but as a general rule I am disappointed. I might need to find a health food shop and test out my theory regarding the container that I store it in!

I still do not understand why people like peanut butter with sugar in it. Peanuts are savoury, so why eat sweet peanut butter??

No comments:

Post a Comment