Sunday, June 19, 2011

Baci Semifreddo

After making friands the previous week I was left with a surplus of egg yolks. I considered various recipes to make use of them and kept coming back to custard. In the end I decided that the Baci Semifreddo recipe from Gourment Traveller would fit the bill nicely.

I had six egg yolks and so I adjusted the recipe accordingly.

I really like the hazelnut flavour and the crunch. The Semifreddo also met with my sister E's seal of approval. Yay! I froze this in a loaf tin and have been cutting slices as I go. If I was going to serve this as a fancy dessert I might just invest in some proper moulds...

6 egg yolks
180g caster sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
20 ml Frangelico
140 g dark chocolate, melted
1 1/2 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa, sieved
400 ml thickened cream
180 g crème fraîche
110g roasted hazelnuts, skins removed, coarsely chopped

Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap.

Whisk yolks, sugar, vanilla and Frangelico in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until mixture is tripled in volume, thick and pale and holds a ribbon (4-5 minutes). I used the stab mixer that we received as a wedding present. It has a whick attachment and it was so much easier than the options of my sunbeam mixer (heavy) or by hand (laborious).

Transfer semifreddo mixture to an electric mixer and whisk until cool (2-3 minutes).

Add melted chocolate and cocoa and mix to combine.

Meanwhile, whisk cream and crème fraîche in a bowl until soft peaks form. Again, the stab mixer came in handy for whisking the dairy products.

Fold one-third of dairy into egg mixture to loosen mixture, then fold through remaining cream and hazelnuts.

Spoon into container, cover, freeze until firm (6 hours or overnight).


Notes

  • The original recipe called for a vanilla bean or vanilla paste. I had only vanilla extract or essence in the pantry and so went with vanilla extract

  • I bought a 125g packet of hazelnuts and ended up roasting and using the whole packet

  • I forgot to adjust the Frangelico amount from the recipe! Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment