Sunday, December 2, 2012

Short Black Cupcakes #2

My mixer survived... a set of replacement beaters and it was good to go again! I had mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I think it's great to have such a vintage piece of kitchen equipment, and on the other hand I was wanting to to get myself an up to date machine with all sorts of optional extras.
Cupcakes are my current baking staple, and today I thought to revisit the Short Black Cupcakes.
I (roughly) followed the Donna Hay version again, with the following tweaks.

125g butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup natural yoghurt
100g dark chocolate, melted

Preheat the oven to 160C.
Cream butter and gradually add sugar.
Add eggs one at a time. Beat well.
Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder.
Add to butter mix and combine well.
Mix in the milk, yoghurt and chocolate.
Spoon 70g of mixture into cupcake papers and place in a muffin tray.
Bake for 18 minutes.
Cool on wire racks.

I had another bash at the icing, and tried different proportions this time around.

125g butter
1 1/2 cups pure icing sugar
30mL cup milk
1 teaspoons instant coffee

Cream butter and gradually add sugar.
Dissolve coffee into milk.
Gradually add coffee mix into the butter and sugar, beat until well combined.

I was very happy with this recipe and combination and will definitely make it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment