Friday, July 15, 2011

Cupcake mania


A couple of weeks ago I thought that I would test out the new cupcake recipe that BakingN and I received from the cupcake class. It was fairly simple and I wanted to try some of the little tips that Brittany had passed on for myself.

Gather your ingredients. Make sure that you have everything that you need to cook.


Cream your butter and sugar. My butter had been out of the fridge for a couple of days and so was nice and softened by the time I was ready to bake! Start beating the butter first, then gradually add the sugar.


Mix in the vanilla extract and eggs. Add the eggs one at a time and incorporate each egg well before adding the next one. Brittany maintains that the reason why we do this is that it helps to prevent the mixture from splitting.


Mix in the sifted flours. Brittany's recommendation is to do it with a spatula, as beating it with the electric beaters can make the batter chewy.

Finally add in the wet ingredients and mix well with your trusty spatula.


The batter is now ready to either decant into cupcake liners or to add flavourings.


I was fairly conservative and made vanilla cupcakes and chai cupcakes. I wanted to see how the mixture went first before branching out!



If I make this recipe again before the lime season is over then I might just try the lime and coconut flavour.

The icing recipe was new for me, usually when I make buttercream icing I just use butter and icing sugar. This time around I added vanilla and milk as directed.

Beat your softened butter, then gradually add the sifted icing sugar. Add the vanilla and milk. Remove the beaters and mix further with your spatula.


I was a little more conservative with my icing and tried to pipe it flat onto the cakes, rather than swirling it to a peak. This meant that there was less icing and I found that the equivalent amount of butter (125g in the cupcakes and 125g in the icing) was the perfect proportion.

No comments:

Post a Comment