Friday, July 1, 2011

Revisiting the lime curd tart


C came home from work on Saturday and asked if I would make a lime tart for him to share with his workmates. There was nothing on television so I was happy to get creative in the kitchen! He gave me a hand making the pastry and the curd, then went to bed and left it to me to roll and blind bake the pastry!

I used the lime curd tart recipe that I had made last year for Mother's Day.

I am not sure why but this time around I really struggled to get my pastry into the tart shell. Initially it was too soft, even after an hour or so in the fridge, and when I tried to put it into the tart shell it just fell apart. After pulling it back into a ball I rolled it out and put it back into the fridge for some more chilling. I then tried to put the chilled pastry into the tart. It was too rigid and I ended up slicing off the edges of the pastry on the top of the tart.

It's terribly sad but on Sunday night I stayed awake for a little while trying to figure out how to best get the pastry into the tart shell. The best I could come up with was to have two tart tins of the same size, and to first shape the pastry over an upside down tart tin before I put the tart tin that I am using upside down onto the pastry and inverting. It sounds complicated when I try to explain but I might give it a try next time I pull out the pastry.

Even though my efforts in putting the pastry into the tin ended up a shambles, the pastry still baked well and I had no shrinkage at all. At least I have some positives!

Another positive from the tart this time around is that my new Kitchenaid Food Processor was quite happy in making the pastry. I am so glad that I spent the bucks last year to buy it, and it might be the last treat I give myself for some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment