Thursday, December 17, 2009

Purple Jasmine Rice

I am back working at the west end of the Perth CBD, at least for the moment, and on Monday on my way to catch the bus home I walked down Hay Street and visited one of my favourite shops, the Oxfam Shop! I always love going into the shop, and seeing what interesting and unusual goods that they have. Oxfam are supporters of fair trade, and from the Oxfam Shop website "Oxfam Shop is a passionate supporter of fair trade and deals on a fair trade basis with 85 fair trade organisations around the world, who support thousands of producers including Indigenous Australians".


This time around I was caught by the rice that they were selling. They had two flavours on offer, Coral Rice and Purple Jasmine, from Alter Eco. The rice intrigued me, and eventually I settled on the purple rice. As you can see it is a mix of colours, at least uncooked. [add photo]

I followed the cooking instructions on the back of the packet, and ended up with lovely cooked rice. There is a bit of texture, the rice is not completely soft, and most startling of all is that the rice is all coloured purple! There was no spectacular taste difference from standard rice, but I really liked the texture and it is quite different from the basmati that we normally eat.
[photo]

For those of you who are not aware, the Oxfam Shop sells fair trade products, and I like to add their food stuffs to my pantry where I have the need. I make sure that I buy fair trade coffee for my guests, and we have several Oxfam branded salt and pepper grinders that we regularly use in our cooking. Occasionally I treat myself to a fair trade chocolate bar or chocolate coated coffee beans (yum!) and I am sure that there is some fair-trade organic drinking chocolate floating around in my tea drawer. Some of the teas that I buy are fair trade, but probably not enough.

I read also today in my local paper that there is a Fair Trade store called U-chus open in Victoria Park, so I shall have to try and visit there soon and see what alternative products they have.

[links - fair trade, , photos]

No comments:

Post a Comment