Sunday, April 18, 2010

Eating in Tasmania (part one)

I was on holidays, so eating out was the order of the day for most of my time in Tasmania. I am very pleased to report that I never had a bad meal! I was a litle surprised as some of the places that I was eating at were quite touristy, and I was expecting plastic food. On my first full day in Tasmania I drove up to Launceston.

I stopped at Ross to learn some history and decided to have lunch at the Ross General Store Bakery and Tea Rooms. I bypassed the pies and instead went for the Ham and Pea Soup with some apple juice. It had been raining that morning so I was in a bit of a wintry mood. The soup was very tasty, with lovely chunks of ham. The apple juice that I ordered was nice and crisp! After eating that I thought that I should try something with a pot of tea, so I ordered a lemon tart. I have to confess to being disappointed with the tart. As you can see from the colour it had a few too many artificial colours and possibly flavours in it for my liking.



Dinner that night was in Launceston at Fish 'n' Chips at the Old Launceston Seaport. It was a lovely setting at the Seaport, and not very busy. I ordered fish, and was a little surprised to be asked if I would like to order some chips as well. My $20 only bought me fish! I ended up ordering a greek salad and half dozen fresh oysters. The oysters were lovely and plump, and I got seven in my half dozen! The fish was nice and juicy and rilled to prefection, and the salad was quite large. I am sure that two people could have quite comfortably managed one portion of fish with a serve of chips.


Banana pancakes with Tasmanian honey at The Basin Cafe, Cataract Gorge.


Spinach and Ricotta scone with cream cheese, smoked salmon and salad at the tearooms at Clarendon. The scone was lovely, so light and fluffy and full of flavour. I also had Cascade Apple Juice.


Tomato soup at the Museum Coffee Shop at Port Arthur. To be honest I was not expecting much considering it was a tourist cafe but the soup was very tasty and there was texture from the tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment