Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Baking beads


The first time that I blind baked pastry, I used some brown rice that was hanging around in my pantry and well past its best before date. I kept that rice to be used again for baking, and it was. The down side of the rice was that I kept spilling it into my pastry when I removed the baking paper and having to pick out the small grains.

It all came to a head one day when I made pastry and managed to drop quite a few grains into the hot pastry. Instead of picking it out I thought I would be smart and tip out the rice.

Of course gravity defeated me and I ended up with pieces of pastry on my stove top! Luckily my filling held the cooked tart shell together however I was most unhappy and in a fit of pique I threw the rice away, vowing to buy some ceramic baking beads.

This was all very well and good, however the next time I made pastry I still had not bought beads and so I resorted to using the remaing soup mix that was in the pantry. You can see the result above. Unfortunately there was not enough leftover soup mix and it does not do much at all to weigh down the pastry!

So I see that my options are to buy some ceramic weights, or to invest in another packet of soup mix. The ones below are $22.95 a packet, so I may just buy half a kilo of brown rice...

Pie weights by Wheel & Barrow

No comments:

Post a Comment