Thursday, May 27, 2010

Eggs and eggs


We have been buying Free Range Eggs for a while. I do occasionally wonder how honest the manufacturers are about the conditions of the hens as you hear stories about how "free" the concept of free range actually is.

A few years ago one of Chad's workmates gave us fresh eggs from his chickens and we were impressed with how bright yellow the yolks were compared to commercial caged eggs. It was from this point that we decided we wanted to buy eggs from happy chickens.

We usually buy our eggs from Scutti's in South Perth. Occasionally we stray. Chad recently bought eggs from Woolworths. He really only looked for free range and I did not think any more of it until I saw the packet. I remembered this story from the ABC's Landline about the egg industry in Australia and thought that I recognised the brand from this show. When I checked the box I realised that they were packed in NSW. It was very disappointing as we try to buy local (WA) fresh produce as much as possible.

I also checked the eggs that we had in the fridge. We had previously strayed and purchased our eggs from IGA. Thankfully they support local producers and our eggs were Pioneer Farms

When searching for the Landline story on the ABC website I also came across this recently filed story suggesting that the WA market would soon be swamped by eggs from Eastern States manufacturers due to an oversupply in their market.

We shall try to be more vigilant from now on and check labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment