Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Chocolate chunk muffins


Public holidays are always a good excuse to catch up with friends! I did not wish to turn up empty handed and I was too lazy to walk to the shops to buy strawberries so I thought that muffins would be appreciated. I was initially going to make triple chocolate fudge cookies however I realised that I needed to refrigerate the cookie dough for an hour, and I only had about that long to make and bake. I turned to Donna Hay's Simple Essentials: Chocolate for inspiration and this recipe.

2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup light olive oil
1/2 cup milk
200g chocolate bits (I used 100g each of white and dark)

Preheat oven to 180C.

Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and caster sugar into a bowl. Sift and mix to combine.

In a separate bowl (or large jug!) combine the eggs, vanilla, oil and milk and whisk together.

Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture.

Fold in the chocolate bits and spoon into 12 x 1/2 cup muffin cases.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Notes
- The recipe called for vegetable oil, and 1 cup of chopped milk chocolate in lieu of the bits. I had already measured out the chocolate for the cookies so just used what I had.
- My muffins ended up dry. At the end of 25 minutes they were still slightly moist inside and I think at that point I should have pulled them out.
- I sifted my dry ingredients and then sifted them some more for good measure to mix them up rather than stirring with my spatula.
- Very chocolate-y and yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment