Sunday, March 28, 2010

Garlic and more


I recently received my Autumn Garden catalogue from The Digger's Club. I initially found the website after purchasing Digger's Club cherry tomatoes from my local nursery and being excited by the different varieties!

The Digger's Club offer a wide range of fruit and vegetable seeds and plants, in lots of interesting colours and flavours not normally seen in the supermarket. Last summer we grew about seven different types of tomato, including green zebra, tommy toe, black russian and mortgage lifter.

One of the articles in the current magazine discusses the merits of buying Australian, or even growing your own, garlic.

I have only recently (the last few years) really thought about where my food comes from, and one thing I have noticed is the difference in colour and flavour between Australian garlic and the imported garlic from China or Argentina. I now make it a point to purchase Australian garlic, and this is made easier by my local Fruit & Vegetable deli Scutti's usually stocking Aussie garlic and as a general rule locally grown produce.
Not to mention the fumigation that imported garlic undergoes... not a good thing!

I am very disappointed that the varieties available from the Digger's Club is not able to make it into Western Australia due to quarantine issues! I shall have to try and find a local source to grow my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment