Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pardon?


I was watching a repeat of Better Homes and Gardens this afternoon (and no, that is not the reason for "Pardon?") when Karen Martini announces that she is making Prawn, Pork and Corn Sui Mai.

Pardon?? Did she just say CORN???

They were essentially the pork and prawn dumplings you see on dim sum trays around Australia and the world, with the addition o corn and spring onions on the top.

My objection to this is that this dish is represented here as "a classic Asian dish" and you are urged to "add a touch of authentic Asian cooking to your next dinner party".

I am sure that my friends would look at me quite strangely if I offered them this variation and tried to convince them it was authentic!

For the uninitiated the siu mai are the ones to the left in the photo. The others are char siu bao (or barbeque pork buns).

Photo from Big in Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment