Saturday, March 13, 2010

Pumpkin and red onion tart - Part Pastry

My bridesmaids are coming around for lunch tomorrow, and other commitments make it necessary to prepare lunch today. N is vegetarian, so I thought that a quiche or tart would be something simple to prepare.

Perhaps foolishly, I thought that I would try a new pastry recipe. My staple is usually the Good, simple shortcrust pastry recipe from Belinda Jeffrey's "Mix and Bake". This time around I looked to Maggie Beer from The Cook and The Chef, a favourite program of mine. Each episode Maggie Beer (the Cook) and Simon Bryant (the Chef) would discuss food and cook several recipes around a theme. Simon's recipe tended to be a little complicated and stylish, Maggie's recipes were more rustic and hearty. I remembered a discussion of her sour cream pastry one episode and I adapted the recipe from here.

125g plain wholemeal flour
100g unsalted & chilled butter
60mL sour cream (approx.)


Chop the butter into small cubes. Put flour into processor.
Process flour and gradually add butter until the mix resembles a large breadcrumb consistency.
Add sour cream gradually.

Turn onto a floured bench and bring together with your hands. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 20 minutes.

Roll and line your tin. Blind bake at 200C for 12 minutes. Remove the weights and bake another 5 minutes.



Notes
- The recipe called for plain flour. I used wholemeal.
- Maggie advises that the pastry will shrink, so line the tin high.
- The amount of sour cream is approximate. Adjust to get the right pastry dough consistency. I have found my dough to be too wet so I chucked it in the freezer to improve it!
- Remember to place the tart shell on a tray when you put it into the oven. It will make it easier to remove it from the oven without cracking the shell.

Assembly will be tomorrow! I have roasted butternut pumpkin and red onion, so it will be a matter of putting it all together and baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment