Tuesday, March 23, 2010

High Tea with a view


Inspired by this post, E and I went to the Peninsula Tea Gardens in Maylands to sample their high tea. The venue is Tranby House, constructed in 1839, and the site of one of the first farms in in the colony. It is a lovely location, overlooking the Swan River. The location was very tranquil and it was a gorgeous spot to sit and relax and catch up on gossip.

High Tea consisted of finger sandwiches, fresh scones with jam and cream and some sweet cakes. It was arranged on a three tiered cake stand, and we worked our way up from the bottom.

E had not eaten anything, and I had spent an hour and a half running around in the sun so we were both fairly hungry!


The finger sandwiches were nice, and we had four varieties in smoked salmon, ham, beef and cucumber. The bread was not dry at all and to me this indicated that they had not been sitting around all morning or at least had been stored correctly.  The scones were extremely light and fluffy and very tasty when spread with the jam and cream. The lemon meringue pie was so light and tangy!  When I first saw the little pies I thought that the pastry looked very thick, and was expecting them to be a bit stodgy. How wrong I was. The cupcakes were very light and moist too, and they were my favourite. The little petit four was not really to either of our tastes purely because there was marzipan used in the construction. E and I both are not fans of marzipan. It was well constructed though, thin layers of cake separated by a mousse type filling.

Two rounds of tea are also included in the price. I had the Kenilworth blend both times, and E had English Breakfast and a Latte!

High tea costs $38 pp. They take bookings for high tea, and I had to pay a $10 pp deposit for our booking, taken off the total that I paid.

I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of sugar that we consumed. One of the tables next to us asked for savoury scones with their high tea, and I might try doing the same next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment