Friday, February 26, 2010

Nana's Crab Cakes



Earlier this week I saw tasty looking Crab Cakes on the Munch+Nibble blog. They intrigued me by way of being baked in muffin tins!

Quite coincidentally (I promise!) C decided to go crabbing on Tuesday. I love fresh crabs, and he has not disappointed me yet this season and come home with quota! We disagree slightly on the best way to eat them but I have a set of seafood tools my sister gave me a few years ago and they get a good workout!

Tuesday night saw me up to my elbows in fresh crab. Cooked to perfection by C, and I had them with some garlic and vingar. Yum!

Wednesday, still with crab in the refrigerator, C decided that he wanted to make crab cakes. The recipe that we used is my Nana's Fish Cake recipe, with crab used in lieu of fish!! Simple really.

All proportions are approximate, we did not actually measure anything. Except maybe the eggs, they come already measured!

Flesh of four cooked crabs
100g white fish fillet, cut into small pieces
2 rashers of bacon, cut into small pieces
1 onion, cut into small pieces
1 egg
1/4 cup plain flour
splash of cooking sherry

Fry onion until it is translucent.
Mix together crab, fish, bacon and onion.
Mix in the egg, flour and sherry.
The mixture should be sticky.

Heat oil in frying pan, enough to give a few milimeters coverage.
Drop approximately 1/4 cups of mixture into the oil.
Cook until golden on under side then flip over and cook until other side is golden.
Drain on paper towel.

We served the cakes up with a salad of rocket, feta, lebanese cucumber and cherry tomatoes, and I also had some steamed rice.

Notes
- We have used beer in the past rather than sherry. It still works.
- We used plain flour but are planning to try self-raising next time around.
- All measurements are approximate.
- This is a good recipe to use fish that has suffered from freezer burn!!

Image belongs to Janette Larobina Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment