Monday, February 15, 2010

Rhubarb Muffins



C's Mum has recently given us some rhubarb. We've made rhubarb crumble, and I thought that I would try a rhubarb muffin! I turned to the cookbook that I own, optimistically* called "Baking bible".

2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup milk
100g butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 egg
1 1/2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
3 tablesppons raw sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 220C. Grease muffin tins.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add sugar and combine.
In a separate bowl mix together milk, butter and egg.
Add milk mixture to dry ingredients and combine, then stir in rhubarb.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Springle over cinnamon sugar.
Bake for 15 minutes.

Notes
- There was excessive amounts of sugar/cinnamon on the bench when I turned out the muffin. I would suggest reducing the mix by a third.
- I had to double check that this was an Australian recipe, with Aussie tablespoons, after the effort with the cinnamon sugar!


*I say optimistically, it does not have a scone recipe in it!!! I would think that a scone recipe would be essential for any baking bible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment