Monday, July 26, 2010

Cauliflower soup


Inspired by the spicy lentil soup that Chad made, I thought that I would try a recipe from the AWW Soup Plus cookbook. The Cauliflower soup stood out for me, and it seemed quite simple so what could go wrong?

I confess to feeling skeptical about the flavours, the ingredients are fairly basic and I was concerned that the flavour in the meal was from the bacon and cheese toasts that you prepare to serve as an accompaniment.

Sadly, I was right and this soup is bland. It tastes like pureed and watered down cauliflower. Personally I prefer my cauliflower with lashings of cheese.

There is leftover stale bread and hopefully I can make some jarlsberg cheesies to go with it... but I have such a huge pot of the soup that I do now know how I will make it through the whole lot. Maybe add some bacon??

1 tablespoon oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion, chopped
1kg cauliflower, chopped coarsely
1 large potato, chopped finely
750mL chicken stock
750mL water

Heat oil in a saucepan. Fry onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Do not brown!

Add cauliflower, potato, stock and water. Bring to the boil and turn down the heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

Turn off the heat and stand for 10 minutes. Blend soup and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment